“Jack Schapp had left his cell phone on the pulpit and a deacon had seen it on the pulpit and had picked it up to bring it back to him. From what we understand, the deacon then saw a text come through from a teenage girl in the church, and it was a picture of Jack Schaap and this girl making out.”Trisha Kee (link)
To our readers:
The Deebs are going silent for a few days. We will still be posting at TWW but will not discuss any issues affecting this blog at any site. Except for one blog on which I posted a reassuring note this afternoon, we will not be posting under our names or any pseudonyms at any blog dealing with certain issues. This started at 12 PM today.
We want to assure everyone that nothing is wrong with the two of us. We really promise. We are not doing this because we are being threatened. We are doing this because it will help us with some thoughts we have. Please let everyone know that we are doing fine. We may not respond to your gracious emails or return phone calls for a short period of time. Thank you for your incredibly warm well wishes. When we can explain all of this, we will write a blog post that should prove quite interesting.
Also, we want to thank a very brave, anonymous reader who trusted us enough to share some devastating, important and verifiable information. It has brought incredible clarity to the Deebs. It has also given us much comfort since we are trying to figure things out. We will keep in touch. We will never reveal any of the names you mentioned. If you can, offer sincere hugs and apologies from TWW. Bless you!!!!
Yep- it is cryptic but it is the best we can do for now. Life can sure get weird and confusing at times.
in 2014, (Thank you alert reader for pointing this out,) Psychology Today posted Why Predators Are Attracted to Careers in the Clergy: Some further insight into a serious phenomenon by Joe Navarro. The Deebs strongly urge you read the entire post.
Navarro mentioned an article Which professions have the most psychopaths? written by Eric Barker at the beginning of his post. Readers know I visit Twitter every day. I post items of interest at @wartwatch but I am the one who most benefits from the tweets of others who I follow. Many are concerned about the same issues that we deal with here. This post attracted the attention by many for days on end.
Here is the list that Barker presented.The following list to the left posts the positions in which psycopaths dominate. To the right are the professions that attract the least psychopaths. This list was allegedly generated from the book, The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success. It appears that clergy are #8 on the psycho side. I am also glad to see that the professions of my immediate family members are fall on the non-psycho side of this chart.
What about predators and the church?
In Navarro's article on predators and the church, he cautions the reader that the term psychopath gets bandied about too frequently. Instead he prefers the term "predator". You can read his article for the discussion on this. It is quite interesting, especially to me, since I have recently developed an interest in how to spot and define mental illness.
I will call these individuals predators, which encompasses all of the above noted disorders and pathologies.
I particularly appreciate the author's note that he is not our to attack churches, religion and clergy. He is seeking knowledge in the matter and the Deebs say "Hear, hear."
it is an analysis of why predators would choose to imbed themselves within a religious organization or seek to be part of the clergy—so that we can be more aware in order to protect our loved ones and ourselves
Here are some of his points in a nutshell. Once again, read the entire post since this list is not extensive.
- Organizations provide a convenient infrastructure from which a predator can prey on others
- Membership in a legitimate institution gives legitimacy to individuals, This leads us to be ore respectful and trusting.
- Organizations give predators ready and easy access to an identifiable pool of individuals or potential victims.
- Alliances are easy to make in an organization. These can serve to provide the predator information about exploitable weaknesses of others,
- Colleagues within an organization can serve to warn or protect the predator as a result of conspiratorial alliances
- Some organizations can be very financially rewarding for predators where they can exercise their anti-social traits (e.g., lack of conscience, indifference to others, bullying, cavalier attitudes, minimal concern for the welfare of employees, narcissism, sense of entitlement, placing profits over people
- Organizations often try to “handle” negative things in-house to avoid bad publicity, so they are reluctant to report even gross criminal misconduct on the part of the predators in their midst; preferring to transfer them, fire them, or have them leave quietly.
These are further observations that he and his colleagues have made in working with these individuals. This list is not complete so read the article. I am shocked at the insight he has into issues that we cover on this blog. You are going to love this list because it is so spot on. I cannot wait to hear your comments.
The Deebs have written about each and every one of these traits in actual situations. There is a line in an old Johnny Cash song "You've been reading my mail." Please share your experiences liberally. I have embedded Johnny's song at the end of this post. Warning: Dee is a major fan of Johnny Cash. All comments to the contrary will be viewed with a jaundiced eye. I will be keeping a list…
- Within a religious order, those potential victims are identified for the predator, who knows how often they will get together and where (Sunday worship service at 11:00 am, at the local chapel, for example)
- Some religious organizations require members to expose their faults, sins, or frailties in public. This is “manna from heaven” for predators
- Many religious organizations preach forgiveness, even for felonies. For predators this is truly a godsend. This means that if they get caught, they can ask for forgiveness and chances are it will be given.
- Because religious organizations preach brotherly love, even when someone has done horrific crimes, there will be those gullible enough to defend the predator or willing to look the other way.
- Another advantage for the predator in a religious organization is that if caught, he or she can very conveniently say it was “Satan's” fault.
- If the predator is in a position of authority within a religious organization, he or she can claim persecution by the “enemies” of the church or the organization. Any outside scrutiny subjecting the predator to the sanitizing rays of light is thus characterized as, “them,” the unbelievers “against us.” This often compels the group to “circle the wagons” in support of their leader
- If the predator becomes the head of a church or religious group, then he or she is immediately cloaked with power and authority (moral power) that mere corporations don’t have.
- Church goers respect their leaders and give them the benefit of the doubt.
- Predators soon realize that the ability to invoke a deity in their defense is a powerful card to hold that trumps all other arguments.
- No religion or sect screen for psychopathy as defined by Robert Hare that I am aware of.
- To be a predator is to overvalue yourself at the expense of others
- Predators know or soon learn that society tends to revere and not question religious authority.
- Parents may be more trusting of a religious leader than of the average person.
Society is beginning to fight back against churches like the ETERNAL LIFE CHRISTIAN CENTER in Somerset NJ. It appears to be an Assemblies of God church.
One of the reasons I am blogging about these issues today is that I watched a former church gleefully report to us and the congregation that the law exempted them from reporting questionable sexual behavior by this guy who is serving 13 years. Dee and Deb could not understand why the leaders were so pleased about this. It would seem to me that a church would go out of their way to protect their kids. Why were they happy that they didnt have to report sexualized behavior?
Navarro's article has given me a potential answer. We may have been dealing with more than one predator (as he defines it) in the church. Today, as I wrote this, it all became clear for the first time. We have often wondered how these men can sleep at night. Now we know it is possible but not proven that we could have been dealing with predators of another kind in the pulpit. (Note to lawyers: We are not saying the pastors were molesters. We are saying that they could have other issues as raised by the article quoted in this post.)
I am aware of a number of churches and denominations which have legally argued that Megan's Law should not have to apply to their church youth activities where most people know that predators target. One alert Twitter user passed this on to us. Church no refuge for sex offender: NJ State Supreme Court rules Megan’s Law applies to church youth groups
It appears to me that the simple story is this. A church, ETERNAL LIFE CHRISTIAN CENTER in Somerset, NJ knew they had a Megan's List offender at the church.The guy actually told them!!! Being imbued with wisdom from God, the leadership decided to let him work with kids anyway. I want to call them names but I am trying to be civil and I am barely hanging on. Guess what? He did what molesters do, even when allegedly *forgiven by God.* He assaulted two teen females in the church.
Now what did the godly™ leadership do when they we told by authorities that they were in violation of Megan's Law which states that
an excluded sex offender to hold a position, or otherwise participate, in a paid or unpaid capacity, in a youth serving organization.”
These godly™ men went to court to prove that Megan's Law doesn't apply to church youth groups! I can barely contain myself…The lower courts upheld the decision. However, the State Supreme Court finally stopped this nonsense
State prosecutors appealed, arguing that Megan’s Law also applied to church-affiliated groups, but an appellate panel upheld the decision in March 2016.
On Thursday, the Supreme Court reversed that decision, sending it back to the trial court and finding a “plain language” reading of Megan’s Law did not automatically exempt the church and the youth group’s status should be “a question entrusted to the jury.”
State Attorney General Christopher Porrino, whose office represented prosecutors in the case, said Thursday the ruling “ensures that children in religious youth-serving organizations will be afforded the same protections from sexual predators as children in secular youth-serving organizations.”
Given the Psychology Today article, I think cogent observations can be made by the readers.
Church members/fans are defending a pastor predator who is in jail. Are they delusional?
Let's end on this note. I am anticipating certain individuals on this blog to make rather interesting jokes involving the word *shaft* at the expense of the well deserving pastor. Please try to keep it clean.
i was taken aback that there is a Facebook page REMEMBERING OUR PREACHER DR. JACK SCHAAP. At the moment, you cannot see the comments but a person on Twitter (what do you call those who tweet?)sent me this.
Thankfully, No Longer Quivering at Patheos posted The Delusional Followers of Convicted Felon Jack Schaap in 2013. It was written by Bruce Gerencser who writes the blog The Way Forward.
For those of you who do not know who Jack Schaap is, here are some posts to fill you in.
FBC Hammond More Unified Than Ever After Schaap Debacle
Ousted Pastor Jack Schaap’s Misogynistic Flap
IFB Megapastor Jack Schaap Fired for ‘Improper Relationship’ with a Teen
Jack Schaap Sent to Prison
Bruce Gerencser postsed some letters that were written by Schaap to his victim. You should read them but be prepared.They are disgusting. Bruce has this to say about the supporters and followers of Schaap at the above Facebook page.
Remember, the people running and supporting the Jack Schaap Fan Page KNOW all of this, yet they continue to blindly worship the man. Maybe some of them are so inoculated with the Hyles/Schaap “if you didn’t see it it didn’t happen” virus that they are incapable of seeing Schaap as he really is…a convicted felon who had sex with a minor girl in his church, a girl he manipulated into having sex with him. Anyone with any sense of decency should be able to understand this.
There are many reason why predators flock to churches. People like those on the listed Facebook page is the reason why.
OK, Deb, I'll do it. You are falling out of your seat laughing, aren't you? Our readers can see the infamous, oft discussed, sermon at this link: Jack Schaap Gives the Creepiest Sermon You’ll Ever See, and Maybe the Second-Creepiest. At least it is posted at the Chicago Magazine which gives it the veneer of respectability. You can watch it over there. I refuse to post it here. Stop laughing…Remember, this was a sermon given in his IFB church which is supposed to be super dee duper conservative. Try to be discrete in your comments.
Pleaase note something: we always name names and post links to prove what we say. Always demand that from any site that you read.
Nuff said. Probably too much.
Beat the Devil by Johnny Cash with the lyrics "You've been reading my mail" This is pure poetry. Listen to the words.