Brandi Wilson, Pete Wilson’s Wife, Files For Divorce

The Gospel Coalition/Collin Hansen recently posted My Top 10 Theology Stories of 2016

In keeping with a number of article written about stressed out, exhausted pastors, TGC posted about the poor pastor who is working his fingers to the bones as opposed to a pastor who is struggling in other areas. This part of the post links to an article stating that Pete Wilson resigned due to burn out. 

10. High-profile attrition reveals crisis in pastoral vocation.

If you’re a Gen X pastor who planted a church, proceed with caution. The combination of major responsibility at young ages, combined with high-profile attention outside the local church, has felled too many pastors already. Whether they’ve been removed for abuse of authority, burnout, alcoholism, or something else, middle-aged pastors have not fared well in the megachuch spotlight

As our readers know, TWW raised a question about the real reason for Wilson's resignation since we didn't buy the *burned out" explanation. Apparently, the church leaders were not pleased by out assessment.The Deebs found out, through our sources, that the church leaders had allegedly accused us of lying in our post. Folks, we may be wrong but we are not going to deliberately lie. On the other hand, we think that the leaders were being disingenuous. Leaders, level with your church.

Over the last few months, we have watched as all of Brandi's pictures were systematically deleted from Pete's Facebook and we knew it was just a matter of time before a divorce happened. This is the mother of his children that he is deleting from his life.

Thanks to a reader, we present Brandi Wilson's Complaint for Divorce. Pay particular attention to "inappropriate marital conduct." 

Updated 12/21/16 to redact addresses and names of children

screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-46-08-am
screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-47-05-am
(Names of children and address redacted)
screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-48-12-am
(Address redacted)
screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-49-54-am
screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-53-24-am

(Names of children )

screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-10-48-07-am
(names of children redacted)

screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-10-49-40-am


screen-shot-2016-12-21-at-9-56-25-am

 

 

 

Comments

Brandi Wilson, Pete Wilson’s Wife, Files For Divorce — 139 Comments

  1. This jumped out at me: “Wife alleges that Husband has been guilty of such inappropriate marital conduct toward her that renders cohabitation unsafe and improper.”

    Oh my. Mere “burnout” does not result in an unsafe environment for a wife.

  2. @ Leila:
    Note also that she has “additional statutory grounds for divorce” and she reserves the right amend her pleading if it should become necessary.

    What does that mean? Let me guess. She has lots more to say and if things don’t go smoothly with Pete she is going to talk!

  3. Leila wrote:

    This jumped out at me: “Wife alleges that Husband has been guilty of such inappropriate marital conduct toward her that renders cohabitation unsafe and improper.”
    Oh my. Mere “burnout” does not result in an unsafe environment for a wife.

    That got my attention, too.
    Will he blame his conduct on burnout?

  4. Relevant section from the 2010 Tennessee Code:

    Title 36 – Domestic Relations

    Chapter 4 – Divorce and Annulment

    36-4-101 – Grounds for divorce from bonds of matrimony.

    […]

    (11) The husband or wife is guilty of such cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the spouse as renders cohabitation unsafe and improper, which may also be referred to in pleadings as inappropriate marital conduct; [emphasis added]

    http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-36/chapter-4/36-4-101

  5. refugee wrote:

    Headless Unicorn Guy wrote:
    So… Wife Abuse or just a Honey on the side?
    “Unsafe” makes it sound like much more than honey on the side.

    Another thought: unless the “honey on the side” exposes the wife to STDs… I suppose that could be considered unsafe, too. But I have the feeling that “unsafe” means rather more than that one particular risk.

  6. refugee wrote:

    But I have the feeling that “unsafe” means rather more than that one particular risk.

    As in MoG’s a wife-beater?
    I wonder if he’s going to get his Elders together and put Brandi under Church Discipline(TM) for daring to leave him.

  7. Donner wrote:

    May I suggest blacking out the names of the minor children from the complaint?

    I agree. I realize that this is a legal document, but having their full names and dates of birth on here makes me uneasy.

  8. Headless Unicorn Guy wrote:

    I wonder if he’s going to get his Elders together and put Brandi under Church Discipline(TM) for daring to leave him.

    When all else fails, the threat of hell will usually work like a charm.

  9. I would like to know if Pete and Brandi are under spiritual counseling or church discipline? I’m sick of hearing about the lay people being harassed by leadership and elders for divorcing, yet when the elders are leadership divorce, no one is harassed. Pete only said he was tired, not that there was marital misconduct on his part, now did he?

    I know the answer to my question: no, neither of them are being disciplined or held to any standard of which they’d hold congregants.

  10. Unepetiteanana wrote:

    Pete only said he was tired, not that there was marital misconduct on his part, now did he?

    You’re right. He lied. A bold faced lie. He left, but was really fired. But he turned around and had a job in a few weeks. Isn’t that sweet.

    And how is Marie treated? Like an unrepentant sinner. What did she do? She wanted to leave an abusive marriage.

    The hypocrisy is beyond understanding . . .

  11. Can y’all please remove their addresses from the post? That’s not cool. If you need help editing the files, I’ll be glad to do it for you.

  12. My guess? “Unsafe” means some kind of abuse and “additional statutory grounds” is referring to a honey on the side.

    Statutory grounds for divorce in TN are adultery, habitual drunkenness or abuse of narcotic drugs, desertion for a year or more, or conviction of a felony in addition to the “Inappropriate Marital conduct” already alleged in the suit.

  13. “…stressed out, exhausted pastors, TGC posted about the poor pastor who is working his fingers to the bones…”

    burnout
    +++++++++++++++++

    what’s all this about burnout? so pastors feel they ought to be exempt from such things? like it’s outrageous that they should have to endure such things?

    listen up, pastors. we’re all burned out. work is hard. everyone i know takes it home with them — 60+ hours a week devoted to work, at the workplace & home combined. and that’s not including 3 hour commutes. (& not to mention what runs around in one’s subconscious during attempts at sleep).

    a week’s vacation per year. no retirement, no pension.

    pastors, what were you expecting?? this is life, man. TOUGHEN UP.

  14. Whoa just whoa. I thought this was due to Pete Wilson cheating on Brandi his wife. But the way the letter was written, it sounds like there was abuses going on in that relationship. Words like “unsafe” and stuff.

    Assuming there is indeed abuse involved:

    Brandi please expose the truth anyways. Or leak it to a friend and let that friend expose the truth on your behalf. Do it for the good of the other Christian who, like you, were abused by their neo-Calvinist/fundamental/sexist husbands.

    The more of these abuse stories come out, the more the abuse victims will realize that they are not alone. That it is OK to tell their stories and people will support them. There are plenty of other Christians who loves the victims and are on their sides.

    Remember that neo-Calvinists (and similar) are not the whole universal church. They do not represent Jesus, because they have lost their first love for God and first love for their neighbors. We will know true Christians by their fruits of love.

  15. I know I am about to use this specific situation as a step to a soap box, but I will do it anyway: I think it is being demonstrated over and over again that “megachurches” are not healthy churches, and that (most, if not all) megachurch pastors have to compromise in too many areas in order to maintain both their positions as well as the size of their churches. For every one megachurch pastor who is doing things correctly, there appear to be 20+ who are not.

    They may not all have mistresses, they may not all abuse their wives, they may not all be lovers of money, they may not all abuse their flocks, etc., but they all do one or more of the above.

    I sincerely wish American Christians would rethink the current model of church and make the necessary changes in order make it less of a corporation and more of a community of faith.

  16. Pingback: Wednesday Link List | Thinking Out Loud UNITED STATES

  17. Elizabeth Lee wrote:

    Can y’all please remove their addresses from the post? That’s not cool. If you need help editing the files, I’ll be glad to do it for you.

    Seconded.

  18. refugee wrote:

    Another thought: unless the “honey on the side” exposes the wife to STDs…

    Either/or/both.

    I had an acquaintance married to a pastor. Her DOCTOR told her to divorce her husband because he kept giving her health/life threatening infections from all his affairs. She didn’t know about the affairs except for the health problems it was causing her.

    In Brandi’s situation, I can see it being both or either. Bottom line, she isn’t safe in that marriage besides things being ‘improper’.

    Yes, I get it that there is a double standard for pastors and their wives.
    But still, all I have to say is:

    “Go Brandi, GO! Fly! Be Free! Get out of that hell hole and be an example to all the other wives who are being taught that they are supposed to endure abuse for a season because God says so. God doesn’t say so. Therefore escape like a bird from the hand of the fowler.”

    We nee more Brandis along side the Maries.
    Women need to start throwing their weight around against these unjust system.

  19. I am removing the names of the children in the next hour or so. I had to get shots into my right hand yesterday and I was not thinking so clearly last night. Sorry.

  20. Jeffrey Chalmers wrote:

    Does Pete Wilson ex church hold to/part of the 9 Marks, Gospel collation crowd?

    Not 9Marx… They are an ARC church.

    I’ve tried to figure out the ARC view on women. It seems that every ARC plant is founded by a husband/wife, who are called “pastors” when referred to together. Although individually, the dude is called “pastor Bill” while the wife is just “Sally.” Not Pastor Sally. Because…

    They also have a group called ARC Women, for pastor’s wives and women in ministry. It seems to be a lighter form of complementarianism than 9Marx, but it’s still good to be a married dude in ARC. Because I’m not sure if a single dude would be considered a pastor, just because I’ve never seen a church planted by a single dude. Which, apparently, is what Pete now is.

  21. dee wrote:

    Names of children and current addresses redacted. Thank you all for letting me know.

    Children’s names are still listed.

  22. Burwell wrote:

    I sincerely wish American Christians would rethink the current model of church

    Personally, I feel that the biggest problem with the church model, even more than size, is the fact that an elder or senior pastor can be in his twenties.

    I was part of a mega back in the day that did it right. But the senior pastor was in his 80s and had mega experience in overseas missions and other get-your-hands-dirty ministry situation. He actually was a senior/elder. Nothing like these fake elder/senior pastors we have now.

    Don’t get me wrong. That mega church didn’t do everything right. It had many flaws and it’s size brought its own problems. But the flaws were not the ones you listed. They looked more like the imperfections of smaller churches only made bigger because it was bigger.

    What we see now is young, wet-behind the ear pups aspiring to positions that they are not qualified for. For them it is all about positions, power, glamour, and money. Not ministry. They have not been tried in the fire of true ministry. They are just building their own kingdom using earthly business models.

    IOWs it’s about way more than just size.

  23. dee wrote:

    I think I am losing my mind.

    Oh no! We can’t have that.
    Step back and take a breather.
    All these things are just too much to carry for very long.

  24. Mara wrote:

    IOWs it’s about way more than just size.

    I agree with you on this. I don’t have a problem with a larger church. I’ve seen megas described as 2k or more and I think a 2k church is not a bad size at all and can be run well. I think a 100 person church could easily be more abusive than a 10k church. [Size wise, my personal cutoff would be ‘when you start building satellite campuses and streaming the sermon in that should just be a new church’.]

    Mara wrote:

    They have not been tried in the fire of true ministry.

    I think this is the key. You could have a 29 year old leader who really has been through some life and learned things…who is humble enough to lean on and learn from his (true) elders in the church. But that is probably rare. A 20something fresh out of seminary should probably not be in charge.

    But I don’t think age is truly the problem either. It has something to do with the lust for power, adulation, control, money…coupled with a lack of love for people.

  25. I’d say this one, rather than being primarily a fundie, calvaniesta, patriarchal, 9marxist, 9ARCsist, mega, multi, or yellder (young “elder”) thing, is a churchleader or expastor as cheerleader and business leader thing. Wilson could have told his church the real reasons for leaving, but he had his career to con$ider.

  26. @ Dave A A:
    To clarify, churchleaders.com and expastors.com were 2 websites to promote the handwriting over Pete’s “burnout”. The latter posted an interview about his new job, which he described as being a cheerleader to pastors. Inquiries about his wife went unanswered.

  27. CHIPS wrote:

    Whoa just whoa. I thought this was due to Pete Wilson cheating on Brandi his wife. But the way the letter was written, it sounds like there was abuses going on in that relationship. Words like “unsafe” and stuff.

    The Complaint for Divorce cites two causes, (11)cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the spouse and (14) irreconcilable differences, as grounds for divorce. These grounds seem to be subjective and may be easier to show to the Court than the other causes in the code.

    http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-36/chapter-4/36-4-101

  28. Reliable inside sources say that story #11 was supposed to be “Collin Hansen Finds New Hair Stylist.” I’ll believe it when I see it.

  29. @ Sergius Martin-George:

    Your comment reminded me that I had followed the link over to the website of the TGC and read through the good Mr. Hansen’s list. Of course, #5 caught my attention (and is somewhat apropos to the above discussion):

    5. What good is church authority if you can’t enforce it? – Leadership is granted by the led. Consider the crisis in the Roman Catholic Church where even the so-called vicar of Christ can’t force his progressive reforms on unwilling conservative bishops. Or the United Methodist Church, where African and Asian believers ensure the biblical standards for pastors won’t change but American liberals openly flout their sin. Or InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, which opted for voluntary disclosure over inquisition with staff who object to historical teaching on sexuality. What’s to stop any church member or even pastor from simply jumping to another church when authorities catch him in unrepentant sin? Though we know authority can be abused, church discipline is a means of grace. May God raise up leaders who enforce it with convicted humility and members who accept it with grateful sobriety.

    Darn those pesky church members…not willfully submitting to autocratic and partisan church discipline. Why can’t they all be like Chip Diller (Kevin Bacon’s character in Animal House), who said, while receiving a paddling, as a pledge to Omega Theta Pi, “Thank you sir, may I have anotherhttps://youtu.be/qdFLPn30dvQ

  30. @ Sergius Martin-George:

    Sherlock Holmes to Dr. Watson (The Hound of the Baskervilles):

    It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it. I confess, my dear fellow, that I am very much in your debt.

    🙂

    (Haha, I too thought of others, but not about the hair!)

  31. Burwell wrote:

    It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light.

    Yes! I have finally found my voice!

  32. It will be interesting to see what Mr Wilson’s counter suit says. I filed my divorce papers in Ohio and I learned that much of what is written on these documents is boilerplate. When my husband counterfiled – his papers said exactly the same as mine (although one could argue his papers were lies). Neither of us had to prove these claims where true – not in court nor at the hearings. The state requires a reason (boilerplate) to be on the document.

    Where these terms/reasons might come into play is in negotiating the Settlement. The more 3rd party evidence Mrs Wilson has – the more potential she has to “stack the deck” in her favor in terms of visitation rights, custody (residential), support, etc.

    As an additional example – when I filed for divorce, I got a temporary restraining order against my husband. Many thought this to be good news. He couldn’t come on my property, couldn’t harrass me, couldn’t take what was mine, couldn’t run off with our son, couldn’t sell what was mine, etc. Many got this confused with a Civil Protection Order based on previous unsafe encounters where life/property were at risk – written by the police department. Not so! And, when my husband (now ex) counterfiled – as a matter of due process – he got the same temporary restraining order against me. Boilerplate.

    I’m not saying that Mrs Wilson doesn’t have a tale to tell and horrors to share. I believe she does! I just wouldn’t get too excited about language used in court documents. I would find her personal story much more insightful.

  33. Muff Potter wrote:

    Headless Unicorn Guy wrote:

    I wonder if he’s going to get his Elders together and put Brandi under Church Discipline(TM) for daring to leave him.

    When all else fails, the threat of hell will usually work like a charm.

    Yep. It sure as shineola worked with me.

  34. “Burn out” – excuse for sin… cough… tired of the reformed evangelical hypocrisy… sigh.
    It’s sin, and probably all around in all types of organizations. We were told about these type deceivers, it’s not burn out… stop listening to these people and don’t trust their movements and denoms…

  35. Ah, yes. I have an Instant Checkmate account, and Pete bought his house in Franklin for $300,000 back in 2005. The house has 5 bathrooms … Must be a terribly tiring life making enough money as a mega church pastor to house your family in a home like that.

    I have less and less respect for these people the more and more these stories come out.

  36. Unepetiteanana wrote:

    Ah, yes. I have an Instant Checkmate account, and Pete bought his house in Franklin for $300,000 back in 2005. The house has 5 bathrooms … Must be a terribly tiring life making enough money as a mega church pastor to house your family in a home like that.

    And he still has a ways to go to Keep Up with The Furticks.

  37. Unepetiteanana wrote:

    Ah, yes. I have an Instant Checkmate account, and Pete bought his house in Franklin for $300,000 back in 2005. The house has 5 bathrooms … Must be a terribly tiring life making enough money as a mega church pastor to house your family in a home like that.

    Steven Furtick Forced To Cancel Book-Signing Event After Getting Lost In His Mansion
    http://babylonbee.com/news/steven-furtick-forced-cancel-book-signing-getting-lost-mansion/

  38. When I homeschooled my 7 kids , from the time they could read until they were about 16 I went to some local church libraries and had them read ALOT of stories from Missionaries pre 1950. You can find these old libraries in larger dead churches and the librarians will be glad that someone wants to read them… anyway the point is this, my adult children can spot a wolf in sheep’s clothing in a second and have pretty much tagged modern missions as a money scam as well as lazy people who want to have there computer time paid for by others, pastors of today for the most part are in the same category in their mind. With that being said we also know that there are well meaning people who want to go into these fields not as a career but as a calling but Seminaries ruin them before they get a chance to really serve. My adult children don’t complain or harbor bitterness. They quietly go about serving others, they take mission trips on their vacations that THEY pay for and they do the work of Christ humbly through hospitality. Thank GOD for the influence of great men and women of the past who knew that being a pastor or missionary meant reckoning themselves dead and their lives are hid in Christ. Men and women that shunned the thought of a retirement because they knew heaven was their reward!( Heart matter) They showed the example of loving God and loving others as better then themselves!
    Again I will say, lets all read our Bible with humility daily serve others beyond our comfort zones and simply enjoy Jesus. Time is short…
    thank you for your work on this site exposing the areas of the church that need to come under the Blood.

    P.S. I hope you don’t take this as bragging. I am just trying to share an example that worked for our family to insulate against wolves.

  39. @ Burwell:

    It’s risible, isn’t it?

    When did any of these men submit with “grateful sobriety” to anybody they disagreed with?

  40. probably wise to cut out birth dates and home addresses to prevent identity theft… you know Brandi doesn’t need that.

  41. Donna wrote:

    When I homeschooled my 7 kids , from the time they could read until they were about 16 I went to some local church libraries and had them read ALOT of stories from Missionaries pre 1950.

    I think that’s a wonderful idea! I’ve read a lot of these (1 degree in missions, and nearly a graduate degree in it).

    A lot of pastors now have this idea that they are entitled to a very comfortable living, even if their congregation is barely making it.

  42. A VERY interesting detail is included in the divorce papers:

    r. Date of Separation of the Parties: August 1, 2016

    Pete Wilson made his public announcement at the church on September 11, 2016.

  43. Dave wrote:

    A VERY interesting detail is included in the divorce papers:
    r. Date of Separation of the Parties: August 1, 2016
    Pete Wilson made his public announcement at the church on September 11, 2016.

    Oh, good catch!

  44. There is always the same theme that runs in the old missionary books. Its not any different than today for REAL missionaries. The person called by God gets forgotten on the field by the institutional church. They suffer greatly physically and mentally BUT because they are truly called and are filled with His Spirit they press into Him making it possible to press on with the Gospel message. No participation awards, no salary to count on just the call and the joy of serving the Caller. I fear 3d world countries need to send real missionaries to the churches here in the states to teach us what real Christianity looks like. But would we stone them?? I do believe we would. God help us!

  45. “This is the mother of his children that he is deleting from his life.”

    Need you be reminded that SHE is the one filing for divorce? Sounds like she is DELETING HERSELF from his life.

    Typical anti-male bias that rears its ugly head on your blog from time to time.

  46. Even just a basic google search would have informed you that “inappropriate marital conduct” is a statutorily defined term under Tennessee law, that it is the most common ground for divorce in Tennessee, and that it has NOTHING to do with sexual indiscretion. Basically, it’s the most common because it’s the easiest to prove, so easy, in fact, that it is rarely contested by the other spouse. I’ve heard it said that there has never been and will never be a single marriage in which something which meets the definition of “inappropriate marital conduct” has never occurred.

    Shame on you for engaging in baseless innuendo like this. It is quite possible that SHE, not he, is at fault for the breakdown of the marriage. There is no basis at all to conclude at this point that she has any Biblical grounds for divorce.

  47. @ Bobby:
    I’m pretty darned sure that the reality of their situation doesn’t match your narrative. Nice try, dude.

  48. Bobby wrote:

    Shame on you for engaging in baseless innuendo like this

    No.

    Shame on you for using silencing tactics to get people to stop talking about things you want to keep swept under the rug.

  49. @ Bobby:

    Hmmmm, why didn’t Pete Wilson tell the truth about why he left the pastorate? Why are there accusations against Pete regarding his conduct? It does not seem to me that Brandi is the one with sin issues . . .

  50. Bobby wrote:

    Shame on you for engaging in baseless innuendo like this.

    Pete lied publicly, both about his resignation and about his marriage being “fine”, and those lies have been exposed now, so it’s not exactly “baseless” to think he did something else wrong. It may not have been adultery, but if he’s a public liar, then there’s no telling what else he’ll do wrong. He has no credibility anymore.

    Please come up with a better argument than that.

  51. I know nothing about this guy or his wife. Never heard of him before, happened upon this story because there was a link to it on a blog I check from time to time. Have no dog in the fight whatsoever. Just calling it like I see it. And my call is that this post is biased, unfair, and lacking in substantive facts.

    Mara wrote:

    Bobby wrote:
    Shame on you for engaging in baseless innuendo like this
    No.
    Shame on you for using silencing tactics to get people to stop talking about things you want to keep swept under the rug.

  52. According to the filings, a STRO, which I believe is a Standard Temporary Restraining Order was filed in the case.

  53. My question would be, is an STRO standard in TN to secure the status quo by way of assets, or more indicative of governing the conduct of the spouses?

  54. Bobby wrote:

    Have no dog in the fight whatsoever. Just calling it like I see it. And my call is that this post is biased, unfair, and lacking in substantive facts.

    If you know nothing else about him, why are you calling everything baseless and biased? This is one of a number of articles about Wilson here, as they have been following their story for some time. I think either you aren’t telling the truth, or you just enjoy causing trouble. Either way, you really aren’t credible, either.

  55. Dave wrote:

    A VERY interesting detail is included in the divorce papers:
    r. Date of Separation of the Parties: August 1, 2016
    Pete Wilson made his public announcement at the church on September 11, 2016.

    Good catch.

  56. Dave wrote:

    r. Date of Separation of the Parties: August 1, 2016
    Pete Wilson made his public announcement at the church on September 11, 2016.

    It was spin! What a surprise!

  57. Bobby wrote:

    Biblical grounds for divorce

    Ugh. I hate this term. I don’t know why they divorced (although there were rumors, iirc, that would be ‘biblical’).

    What is interesting is the slobbering over spin. No one speaks plainly anymore.

  58. Bobby wrote:

    Need you be reminded that SHE is the one filing for divorce? Sounds like she is DELETING HERSELF from his life.

    Nope.

  59. Bobby wrote:

    There is no basis at all to conclude at this point that she has any Biblical grounds for divorce.

    You are welcome to your point of view. However, at this point, I believe that Brandi is the one who has been hurt by this situation.

    However, Pete is sure lucky to have a guy like you to stick up for him.

  60. My guess is that TWW is going to be hearing from supporters of Pete Wilson. I have a warning for all of them. There are a few issues that I am privy to in regards to the A Group thanks to a well placed individual in the Nashville community who shared some legitimate concerns with me. These concerns were also conveyed by others to a few leaders in the broader Christian community.

    I have been holding my tongue since the divorce situation is tough enough. Certain individuals do not seem to realize how someone with some search skills can discover way too much on social media.

    If I keep getting hammered from friends, I may decide to show folks how I have discovered some things on social media and let them form their own conclusions.

  61. Such a sad author and group of folks you are on here. Whatever self-delusional sense of Christianity you attach to your own writing, reading, and/or commenting/participation on this type of article is completely misguided when the truth is this write-up serves as no more than running down a family and organization who are perhaps both struggling, mistakes made or not… and is no different than Kim Cardashian gossip on TMZ or National Enquirer. As someone unaffiliated with a specific Church, this type of board discourages me from believing in any of you. I’m quite certain no matter who might be at fault – neither Pete, Brandi, nor anyone in the Crosspoint Community would support publicly dragging ANY person’s family thru the mud during such a rough time… and make no mistake about it, this type of gossip forum is as hurtful to an entire family, not just who you perceive to be the perpetrator. Crosspoint and the community this family has built and inspired has delivered far more positive influence in Nashville and beyond than I would guess any single person on this board can claim. Perhaps you should all go spend a few hours trying to do something kind for someone who needs help, take a break from your Christian Gossip Column, and give this family privacy and respect to go through what will probably be the most difficult time in all of their lives, most importantly their children. The good this family has done for all of those around them over the years has at least earned them that. And before I am accused of allegiances, I’ve never met a single one of them personally.

  62. Matthew Miller wrote:

    Perhaps you should all go spend a few hours trying to do something kind for someone who needs help

    We do. Do you have further suggestions?

    Matthew Miller wrote:

    And before I am accused of allegiances, I’ve never met a single one of them personally.

    There is a reason you felt compelled to defend them. Why do I get the feeling that there is more to your reason for posting?

    We support Brandi. We believe that she was deeply wounded by all of this as are his children. It is his fault-not ours.

    Pete lied to his church. Our guess is he lied to lots of people. But, they don’t really matter, do they? All they did was support Pete and give him a good paycheck so he has a nice place to live.

    Let me warn you. There is far more to his new job and those he works for. Some stories are not being told.

  63. Your replies lack substance and are just mindless exhibitions of your hatred of contemporary evangelicals (yes, you hate them, whether you will admit it or not). You deal in emotions, not reason. Facts are secondary to you. If you had any prudence about you, you would wait until facts are available before making judgments about what happened here. I’m no fan of the contemporary evangelical church, but everyone is entitled to be treated fairly. You aren’t a fair person. I don’t know what your backstory is, but you’ve got some major grudge issues going on.

    Bye, have fun with the last word (whether it’s posted by you and/or one of your “guard dogs” who will no doubt bark loudly at this comment if you post it.

    @ dee:

  64. Bobby wrote:

    Your replies lack substance and are just mindless exhibitions of your hatred of contemporary evangelicals (yes, you hate them, whether you will admit it or not). You deal in emotions, not reason. Facts are secondary to you.

    Would you feel better if the DEEBS defended evil and condemned the victims, sweetie?

  65. Just a few thoughts…I have attended Crosspoint or watched on line over the last 6 years. (I do not live in Nashville, but visit family there) I was drawn to Pete’s inspiring messages and they actually helped me overcome tough times in my last 6 years. He, and the church, inspired me to be more charitable with time and money. I did notice a difference through the years though, Pete went from being more Christ-centered to more Pete-centered. The books, book tours, celebrity status, his material toys (ATVs, etc), happy times at his luxury cabin, pictures that showed him being more rich in material goods than a man dedicated to God. These, of course, are just my outsider opinions. Things just became “glossier” and maybe that is what a mega church is, idk? When he left the church in that peculiar speech, I felt it was not honest. All that has come out since, the A group position, Brandi separation, the scuttlebutt about affairs…it has all left me sad. Sins are not just for us lay people, pastors fall too, but what about the honesty? One of Pete’s most common phrases was “if I can be honest” , gosh he said that so many times in his sermons and books. I really wish he would be honest now, I think that’s all we, and God want. Show us you are just human, Pete.

  66. Bobby wrote:

    just mindless exhibitions of your hatred of contemporary evangelicals (yes, you hate them, whether you will admit it or not).

    This is confusing. I am an evangelical. I bet someone told you we were atheists at this blog.

  67. Bobby wrote:

    You deal in emotions, not reason. Facts are secondary to you.

    Bobby wrote:

    I don’t know what your backstory is, but you’ve got some major grudge issues going on.

    So this is you dealing in facts? Good night!

  68. Matthew Miller wrote:

    I’m quite certain no matter who might be at fault – neither Pete, Brandi, nor anyone in the Crosspoint Community would support publicly dragging ANY person’s family thru the mud during such a rough time… and make no mistake about it, this type of gossip forum is as hurtful to an entire family, not just who you perceive to be the perpetrator. Crosspoint and the community this family has built and inspired has delivered far more positive influence in Nashville and beyond than I would guess any single person on this board can claim.

    Not affiliated with any church? Go on. Pull the other one! I’ll bet you and “Bobby” have never met either. Woof Woof!

  69. Bobby wrote:

    hatred of contemporary evangelicals (yes, you hate them, whether you will admit it or not). You deal in emotions, not reason. Facts are secondary to you.

    Interesting. I believe this is called “projection”. Many YRR leadership types, though they are skilled at turning on the smiles and boyish charm, display a certain hatred towards contemporary evangelicals, whether it’s someone not in their particular clique, or the tithe-paying people in the pews.

    It can be quite enlightening to accidentally overhear a conversation.

    Nancy2 wrote:

    Would you feel better if the DEEBS defended evil and condemned the victims, sweetie?

    Actually, I believe the answer to this on his part would be “yes”.

    Bobby wrote:

    I’m no fan of the contemporary evangelical church, but everyone is entitled to be treated fairly. You aren’t a fair person. I don’t know what your backstory is, but you’ve got some major grudge issues going on.

    And… when vague shaming fails to work, out with the ad hominem. When you have not the grounds to discredit the story, do your best, without any grounds, to discredit the speaker.

    Just FYI, I don’t have any major grudge issues going on, either. I am, instead, incredibly relieved to have walked away from a former church. I know from experience that there’s not much point in talking to the members still there, to get them to see reason, but I am available to talk with anyone else who walks away, to help them begin to process. Our church wasn’t big or important enough (i.e., leaders charismatic enough to write books or travel all over giving speeches) to start a survivors’ website, so for us, it’s just quiet talks over coffee.

  70. Sandra wrote:

    One of Pete’s most common phrases was “if I can be honest” , gosh he said that so many times in his sermons and books. I really wish he would be honest now, I think that’s all we, and God want. Show us you are just human, Pete.

    I feel for you in the disappointment you feel. I feel the same about some others I have known, as well as former churches.

    I think the celebrity culture of Christianity is a big destroyer of lives in general, and you’re right, honesty is a valuable commodity in the church. And I wish those who help these people find other ministry positions so fast did not, but eventually it comes out they are doing things just as bad.

  71. Mara wrote:

    Bobby wrote:
    I’m no fan of the contemporary evangelical church
    The emotion and hostility in this comment scream otherwise.

    OTOH, perhaps he’s telling the truth. I don’t see how these “leaders” *can* actually love the flocks they are *shepherding* (word chosen deliberately). I think they find the sheeple a big pain in the toucas, actually. I think of the “sheep” messages I have heard. “Sheep are so STUPID!”

    If only the sheep would just follow the checklist, top to bottom. Tithe joyfully, the full ten percent as a minimum, with a goodwill offering from the heart above that amount. If only the sheep would live moral lives, not getting into trouble and then expecting the shepherding “leaders” to exert themselves to help. If only the sheep would not insist on the shepherding “leaders” living moral lives…

  72. Bobby wrote:

    bark loudly

    None of us can compare to the barking of the defenders of corrupt evangelical leaders.
    In fact, you are a pretty good barker yourself. I could take some lessons on barking from you. Do you have an on-line class I could sign up for? An instructional Youtube video or something?

  73. ishy wrote:

    celebrity culture of Christianity is a big destroyer of lives in general

    True. Pride goes before a fall, Proverbs 16:18. Setting a person (oneself included) on a pedestal fails from the get-go. History repeats itself, demonstrating God’s wisdom and warnings.

  74. Mara wrote:

    Bobby wrote:
    bark loudly
    None of us can compare to the barking of the defenders of corrupt evangelical leaders.

    Of course, if “barking loudly” were to be applied to TWW, it would make me think of sheepherding dogs barking at the wolves threatening the flock…

    Now for a little sheepherding fun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniwI2hNhDs

  75. Lea wrote:

    Bobby wrote:
    Biblical grounds for divorce
    Ugh. I hate this term. I don’t know why they divorced (although there were rumors, iirc, that would be ‘biblical’).
    What is interesting is the slobbering over spin. No one speaks plainly anymore.

    I think it’s because the word “Biblical” has become polluted and used as a control tactic to put people in their place. Just as this word has evolved into a particular meaning that has become skewed and manipulative, so also have other words in the Christian landscape suffered the same fate. Words such as: gospel, grace, love, community, church, etc. And then we have words that have become popularized in certain segments of Christianity, such as: servant/leader, winsome, Complementarianism, help-meet. It would seem that the Christian faith is being re-invented in these quarters.

  76. Matthew Miller wrote:

    I’m quite certain no matter who might be at fault – neither Pete, Brandi, nor anyone in the Crosspoint Community would support publicly dragging ANY person’s family thru the mud during such a rough time… and make no mistake about it, this type of gossip forum is as hurtful to an entire family, not just who you perceive to be the perpetrator.

    This excuse is often trotted out, but if it weren’t for fawning ‘why is this beautiful man being driven out of the ministry because it’s just so rough on a pastor out there’ articles I wouldn’t know who this was.

    For men who supposedly care about publicity and families, they sure do take public jobs and interviews.

    That’s leaving aside the question of whether Mr. Wilson should be teaching christian leaders how to lead, which is quite relevant. IF these folks would just take a non-ministry job and stay away from publicity, they would not need exposure.

  77. Lea wrote:

    IF these folks would just take a non-ministry job and stay away from publicity, they would not need exposure.

    That’s what I’ve been thinking. I have not wanted to comment on this thread because divorce is such a personal and family issues. But that fact that he makes himself such a public figure opens him up to such scrutiny. If he cannot hold his marriage together, which should he have such a prominent “leadership” position in ministry?

  78. Ken F wrote:

    I have not wanted to comment on this thread because divorce is such a personal and family issues. But that fact that he makes himself such a public figure opens him up to such scrutiny. If he cannot hold his marriage together, which should he have such a prominent “leadership” position in ministry?

    When the first thread came up, I was mostly interested in the odd PR campaign. It struck me as off somehow.

    Now this just fits the pieces together. I wouldn’t ordinarily jump in on a private marriage issue, but the pr campaign bugged me. Why is it ok for church ‘leadership’ to blatantly lie to the public? Where is that biblical?

  79. Bobby wrote:

    Shame on you

    At last somebody is talking sense to this community of embittered losers. None of you loves God properly like I do.

    You’re all rubbish.
    Up yours,
    Roger Bombast

  80. Lea wrote:

    For men who supposedly care about publicity and families, they sure do take public jobs

    Yep. It’s the old Driscoll Syndrome.
    He worked so hard to get into everybody’s face and spent so much time saying, “Look at me! Look at ME! See how special and talented I am!”

    Then people started looking and finding nasty stuff and started pointing out how truly nasty things were over at the Hill.

    Then all the sudden it was, “Mind your own business. This doesn’t concern you. Let this pastor and church sort out their problems without you meddling kids getting involved.”

    Sorry dudes. You wanna be in people’s faces? Then you are setting yourselves up. You don’t get to pick and chose what people look at or what opinions they form when they see your glaring dysfunction.

  81. Matthew Miller wrote:

    neither Pete, Brandi, nor anyone in the Crosspoint Community would support publicly dragging ANY person’s family thru the mud during such a rough time… and make no mistake about it, this type of gossip forum is as hurtful to an entire family, not just who you perceive to be the perpetrator.

    So you skipped right over the Biblical passage that an elder in sin is to be confronted before all?

  82. Matthew Miller wrote a wonderful mirror-poem, the beauty of which – I respectfully suggest – many of our esteemed regulars (or “guard-dogs” as he later called us – I like it) have missed.

    The point about it is that you can change all the pronouns (the “mirror” bit) and it makes just as much sense. Whilst reluctant to plagiarise another writer’s work, I have taken the liberty of amending this splendid work as follows.

    *********************************************************************************

    Such a sad author and group of folks you areI am on here. Whatever self-delusional sense of Christianity youI attach to yourmy own writing, reading, and/or commenting/participation on this type of article is completely misguided when the truth is this write-upcomment serves as no more than running down a family and organizationan online community who are perhaps both struggling, mistakes made or not… and is no different than Kim Cardashian gossip on TMZ or National Enquirer.

    As someonepeople unaffiliated with a specific Church, this type of boarddrive-by discourages meyou from believing in any of youme. I’m quite certainYou may speculate no matter who might be at fault – neither Pete, Brandi, nor anyone in the Crosspoint Community wouldmight support publicly dragging ANY person’s family thru the mud encouraging and supporting a wealthy leader in entitlement and sin during such a rough time… and make no mistake about itIMO, this type of gossip forumcomplaint is as hurtful to an entire familychurch, not just who youI perceive to be the perpetratorvictim.

    Crosspoint and the community this family has built and inspiredTWW has delivered far more positive influence in Nashville and beyond the Shunned Community than I would guess any single person on this boardI can claim.

    Perhaps you should allI could go spend a few hours trying to do something kind for someone who needs help, take a break from your Christian Gossip Columnmy Ministry Of Correction, and give this familythe wider Church privacy and respect to go through what will probably be the most difficult time in all of their livesis a difficult but important process of addressing celebrity culture, most importantly for their children. The good this family has done forattention this speaker has been given by all of those around them him over the years has at least earned them obliged him to accept that.

    And before I am accused of allegiancesaccuse you of agendas, I’ve never met a single one of themyou personally.

    ********************************************************************************************

  83. As a former CP staff member, you all should know @dee is right on the money and that she is 100% correct that there is more to the story than the standard CP response and what even she has released. MUCH more.

  84. Katie wrote:

    As a former CP staff member, you all should know @dee is right on the money and that she is 100% correct that there is more to the story than the standard CP response and what even she has released. MUCH more.

    Thank you for your comment. I was miffed off about the *I am stressed out* baloney. The gospel demands honesty, especially with the people at his church. Instead, he blew them off. I think there is much more and I bet, over time, the rest will come out.

  85. Pingback: Wife of Pastor Pete Wilson, Who Recently Resigned From Leading Multi-Campus Cross Point Church, Files For Divorce Citing ‘Inappropriate Marital Conduct’ That Made her ‘Unsafe’ – BCNN1 WP UNITED STATES

  86. For the record, and I’m not defending Pete, but he is not a Calvinist or a fundie. I attended his church for over a year, and I attended a Calvinist church for several before that. Diametrically opposite approaches by the two pastors. @ CHIPS:

  87. Pingback: Wife of Pastor Pete Wilson, Who Recently Resigned From Leading Nashville’s Multi-Campus Cross Point Church, Files for Divorce | International Christian Herald UNITED STATES

  88. Pingback: Wife of Ex-Cross Point Pastor Pete Wilson Files for Divorce, Claims ‘Inappropriate Marital Conduct’ | My World Today

  89. This does note relate to the content at hand nor should it but is anyone else absolutely appalled that a site like this exists?!? What are you all? Churches TMZ?!? It is not like the church has to battle the government and non-believers with destruction in mind. Pastor Pete and CrossPoint have made a major positive impact in my life and when someone brings up mistakes, I can’t help but notice stories in the Bible when God uses sinners!

  90. Spinner Ella wrote:

    Pastor Pete and CrossPoint have made a major positive impact in my life and when someone brings up mistakes,

    A deliberate divorce is not a mistake. It is a well thought out deliberate act. Do you have a problem with knowing how the man who made such a positive impact on you screwed up? The divorce papers are the proof of far deeper problems than just “a mistake.” A mistake is thinking my doctor’s appointment was today and finding out, after I get there , it is tomorrow.

    I think you need t rethink what constitutes a mistake and what comprises a sin.

  91. Elle wrote:

    Is this why so many staff members left right before Pete did? @ dee:

    There seems to have a been bit of a mess at the church and the elders aren’t talking. “Everything was find. We didn’t want him to go. “Nothing to see here. Keep giving us money.

  92. Daisy wrote:

    Published on Jan 5, 2017:
    Wife of Ex-Cross Point Pastor Pete Wilson Files for Divorce, Claims ‘Inappropriate Marital Conduct’

    Pete tweeted to the journalist Leonardo Blair asking for his email and now the article had vanished. Next he tweeted for the Christiantoday author’s email. That article is still up. From the deleted Blair article:
    ‘In a statement to The Christian Post on Thursday, Jacob McGinnis, communications director for the church, said: “When Pete resigned, he said he had focused on building a wonderful church community, but that he ‘hadn’t prioritized some other things that were equally important.’ Our hope and prayers were that he would be able to prioritize those other things when he stepped down, and that he would find rest and healing. We didn’t know about the divorce when Pete left on Sept. 11, 2016, and when we learned of the filing, we too were shocked and saddened. Our prayers continue to be with Pete, Brandi and their three boys.”‘

  93. @ Dave A A:
    My opinion… Of course they didn’t know about the divorce, filed 6 weeks later. It’s just possible they did know about the separation, 6 weeks earlier.

  94. Spinner Ella wrote:

    This does note relate to the content at hand nor should it but is anyone else absolutely appalled that a site like this exists?!?

    I’m appalled that a site like this needs to exist, Ella. It exists because self-styled church leaders and pastors aren’t serious about protecting and feeding Jesus’ sheep, and instead use, abuse or (at the very least) lie to them.

    Dee and Deb have stated before: If the organized church got its act together, there’d be nothing for the Wartburg Watch to write about.

  95. @ BeenThereDoneThat:
    @ Dave A A:
    I have heard about this rom another source. The question is Why? The divorce filing is public knowledge so why is the big deal about posting it? Could it be due to Brandi’s allegations as Pete is set to embark of a bust Spring of talks, etc.? Who knows.

  96. @ dee:
    And why would he use Twitter get the emails addresses of Blair and Walton rather than their websites? The only new info was the CrossPoint statement. Now he’s retweeted an anti-gossip article.

  97. You people are all vultures..are your lives so perfect you need to search for the wrong in others?

  98. Amy Smith linked a video on twitter of Pete and Brandi discussing their expectations for marriage and hers were all that they would be closer, spend more time together and have non-sexual touch and his were about a clear house and her wearing sexy clothes all the time. It is so frustrating to watch that sort of video with the end in mind, because you can see where some people might see it as normal ‘funny’ issues, but you can also look at it and see the problems in hindsight.

  99. Darlene wrote:

    Lea wrote:
    What is interesting is the slobbering over spin. No one speaks plainly anymore.
    I think it’s because the word “Biblical” has become polluted and used as a control tactic to put people in their place. Just as this word has evolved into a particular meaning that has become skewed and manipulative, so also have other words in the Christian landscape suffered the same fate. Words such as: gospel, grace, love, community, church, etc. And then we have words that have become popularized in certain segments of Christianity, such as: servant/leader, winsome, Complementarianism, help-meet. It would seem that the Christian faith is being re-invented in these quarters.

    My Dear Wormwood,

    I refer you to my previous epistle on Semantics, specifically the redefinition of words into their “diabolical meanings”.

    Your Ravenously Affectionate Uncle,
    Screwtape

    P.S. Nowhere do we corrupt so effectively as at the very foot of the altar!

  100. Lea wrote:

    Amy Smith linked a video on twitter of Pete and Brandi discussing their expectations for marriage and hers were all that they would be closer, spend more time together and have non-sexual touch and his were about a clear house and her wearing sexy clothes all the time.

    She wanted a husband.
    He wanted Eye Candy and maid service With Benefits (nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean know what I mean).

  101. Bridget wrote:

    @ Bobby:
    Hmmmm, why didn’t Pete Wilson tell the truth about why he left the pastorate? Why are there accusations against Pete regarding his conduct? It does not seem to me that Brandi is the one with sin issues . . .

    Because ManaGAWD Can Do No Wrong.