I hate to control conversations because sometimes people need a lot of leeway to discuss their story. However, we have been receiving a fair number of complaints behind the scenes. To be perfectly frank, I agree with some of those concerns. There have been a number of people who have stopped commenting due to the increased stridency of the interaction. One of them is someone that I care about a lot.
I never expected the blog to get this busy. It is next to impossible to carefully moderate hundreds of comments. So, unfortunately we are going to have to take a broad brushed approach to try to move the blog into a more civil discussion. There have been some blogs out there which are moving away from allowing comments. We will never do that. The best part of blogging is hearing from all of you.
Here are some thoughts:
1. The length of the comments are getting out of hand. Do not extensively quote another person and extensively answer. The only people who read those lengthy comments are those who are involved in the discussion. Either move over to the open discussion page or continue the conversation offline. I will be happy to help you connect with each other. I will start unapproving comments that are too lengthy unless there is a darn good reason for them.
2. Be aware of how many times you comment in each comment thread. It the thread seems to be a conversation between just a few people, those commenters need to consider being polite and backing off to encourage others to comment. I may ask some to back off a bit in the future. Again, go over to Open Discussion or go offline with one another.
3. Stop with all ad hominem comments. Also, do not judge people's motives. Only God knows those. Please be kind to those who want to get their points across even if they do not agree with your point of view. In fact, encourage them to share their thoughts. Treat them the way you would like to be treated.
4. Do not gang up on another commenter. If this occurs, we will start unapproving comments.
5. If things don't improve, I may use a TWW device which is called "slow moderation." Your name will be put into moderation and we may not approve it for a looooong time. That is not fun for the commenter and it makes more work for us.
We need all you to help us in this blog. This blog is for all of us. God has done some wonderful things throughout the life of this community. We want that to continue. Please work with us to try to make this happen.