Image by Ryan Ashton
The process of writing is like creating a game of dominoes: The first domino creates the second incident, and so forth until the end. Asghar Farhadi
I’ve been hearing rumors that some SBC pastors were expressing their concern that James MacDonald was going to be a featured speaker at the SBC’s Pastor’s Conference 2019. I believe this year’s theme is *kingdom character.” (I remember Milton Berle doing a routine on a character reference and saying ” He is a character.”)
Today, a tweet from Danny Wood on the Twitter account for the conference had this to say:
Note the link to the speakers for the conference. MacDonald’s name was removed quicker than you could say “James who?”
Julie Anne Smith was quick to respond.
Why we should temper our excitement
In March, I will have been blogging for 10 years and I’ve seen a thing or two which reminds me of the Farmer’s Insurance commercials. I particularly like the UFH2O.
So here is a list of things to consider.
- Just like CJ Mahaney stepped down from the T4G conference (twice), MacDonald supposedly did the stepping down from this conference. Remember, Mahaney returned at least once and will probably do so again.
- Leaders who boot other leaders from conferences always like to make it seem like it was a spontaneous decision from the guy who isn’t coming. According to Wood, MacDonald didn’t get the boot, he decided to stay home for *a season.*
- *A season* is the new overused word(s). In the past that would include words like *winsome* and *gospel* which was used as an adjective in front of anything one could imagine like *smoking cessation.*
- *A season* is now a code phrase for *I’m in a heap of trouble and I am working my butt off to dig myself out.*
- The SBC has absolutely no control over any SBC church which means that churches cannot be kicked out out of the SBC unless they bring in a woman as a pastor and then the SBC leaders find something, somewhere, anywhere, whatever to give them the sack.
- The second part of the tweet was Wood’s way of saying “We love this guy and hope to goodness he gets the upper hand on this one.”
- The second part of the tweet only mentions MacDonald, not those being sued and hurt by MacDonald.
- The SBC is delighted to have a huge church like HBC under their list of churches since every year they have to report how many people are joining the great religious diaspora away from their churches. For those of you who don’t believe me, think CJ Mahaney and the SBC. Long after it was alleged that really bad things were going on in those churches, SGC Louisville was welcomed with open arms into the SBC. Back in 2010, we uncovered Mahaney’s gift of $200,000+ to Al Mohler’s SBTS’s Whatever Fund. We predicted waaaay back then Mahaney was warming up to make the great escape into the bowels of the SBC and he did. We wrote about it here. Brother CJ Mahaney: He’s Done Gone and Joined the Southern Baptists in 2015. We continue to wait for apologies from folks who told us we were losing it back in 2010 when we predicted this would happen. SBTS has gone on to help the SGM/SGC pastors get degrees at SBTS.
- Also, note the makeup of SGC Louisville’s leadership. 4 out of 7 pastors are part of the Mahaney clan. Ring any bells with HBC?
Reports of MacDonald’s anger issues have captured the Twitterverse.
I’ve been watching the threads over at Twitter. Julie Roys’ Hard times at Harvest has garnered some comments regarding MacDonald’s anger issues. Let’s look at them again. I highlighted one on my last post. Scroll down to this section: Does James MacDonald have serious and even alarming anger issues? This is a new revelation.
The” butter knife that may have touched a picture” incident.
Here is another example reported by Roys.
Two: Former Camp Harvest groundskeeper Mike Hulburt told me that in 2010, he saw MacDonald use a butter knife to stab repeatedly a picture of a former Harvest pastor in front of 15 to 20 close associates. Another witness, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing his livelihood, confirmed that MacDonald stabbed the picture multiple times “to get his point across.” Hulburt said the incident happened in the camp dining hall immediately after MacDonald yelled at the former camp director, Dan Plantz, asking why he had not gotten rid of the picture.
MacDonald’s explanation had me laughing for 5 minutes.
MacDonald told WORLD, “I didn’t stab any pictures. … I may have put my knife up against it or into it.” He described the incident as a “performance issue” regarding “multiple pictures on the wall that were outdated.”
Then I became deeply concerned. If these incidents are true, then MacDonald appears to have some serious issues.This type of behavior should cause concern amongst even the most loyal of SBC leaders. At the minimum, I would avoid be in a dark room alone with him…
Why we should not be discouraged.
- I know that a number of SBC pastors expressed concern over MacDonald’s inclusion in the SBC *He’s quite a kingdom character* Pastors Conference.
- I think MacDonald may have been encouraged to step away.
- The tweet by Woods appears to indicate that MacDonald is stepping away from ALL outside engagements *for a season.*
- Since I am sure that World Magazine had lawyers (lots and lots of lawyers) review Roys’ article, it seems to me that they believed that her research was truthful. That is a key element in any libel lawsuit. If so, I think TED and their wives may expect to prevail if MacDonald and his lawyer plan to proceed. In fact, I might venture to guess that he will back off. If he doesn’t, I cannot wait to see all the documents that will be made part of the public court record. I bet they will keep me in posts for a year!
- Did you ever consider how silly this lawsuit is? First of all, he sued Roys before her article even appeared. It was a *prospective* lawsuit. I’m still wondering what TED’s wives did. This stuff is wild!
- I believe that God is allowing the truth to come out. There have been reports about HBC/HBF for years. Light is a great disinfectant.
- Do you think he’s posted my mug on his target practice wall? If so, could whoever is there save it? I will put it on eBay and give the proceeds to TED, wives and Roys.
PS: For SBC trolls: When we say we are excited, we are excited for justice and for truth. So stop with the *They’re gloating over the demise of the SBC again.”