A stiff apology is a second insult… The injured party does not want to be compensated because he has been wronged; he wants to be healed because he has been hurt. Gilbert K. Chesterton
Anne Miller and The IMB
There is little doubt in my mind that Anne Miller was molested by former IMB missionary, SBC pastor and SCSBC employee, Mark Aderholt, who has been arrested and charged with 3 felonies and misdemeanor.
- If you have not read her story, here is the link.
- On 7/18, after social media pressure, the IMB responded in this now deleted, much derided statement. Basically, they claimed that they didn’t do anything wrong. Yawn… You can read about the statement here at Baptist News.
- On 7/18, Anne Marie Miller promptly responded to the ridiculous IMB statement here.
- On 7/25, an embarrassed David Platt issued an apology to Anne after apparently meeting with her, along with Russell Moore.
- Today, The Gospel Coalition posted an article by Russell Moore which condemned social media, claiming that it brings out the trolls. I have decided not to let this pass, so read between the lines. Russell Moore would never have met with and supported Anne, as well as enjoyed a photo op apology, if social media did not exist. All I can say is we have read the initial email… Social media has brought out the victims and their advocates who will not allow abusive or inconsiderate statements from the SBC, the IMB or Russell Moore to go unchallenged.
Questions and concerns
- Will the IMB and the investigative agency they hire contact ALL of the mission fields impacted by Aderholt? He was allowed to go on many mission trips through the years. At the time of his arrest, he was teaching teens in a church that are the age of his victim. We are waving a red flag! They must follow up with every country and group that experienced a visit from Aderholt.
- The independent investigation team must be independent – not aligned with the SBC or BFFs and family members of SBC leaders.
- There has been rumor of a hot line being set up by the IMB for victims to call for assistance. STOP! This is a move that is dangerous. The Catholic Church set up such a hot line during the pedophile crisis. Those hot line calls were manned by lawyers whose job it was to make these victims go silent. Such a hot line should not be managed by the IMB or the SBC. It should be manned by an independent organization whose priority it will be to help the victims to report their assault to law enforcement and provide them with resources. Given the fact that the fancy Stanford lawyer at the IMB told Anne to *let it go*, there is no reason to suspect that he would not do the same thing on this hot line.
The good news is this. Social media is changing how organizations do business and courageous women like Anne Marie Miller are coming forward.
Todd Wilhelm reported yesterday on Day 3 on the Tom Chantry trial
Wow! Our good friend Todd is an incredible writer. I highly recommend that you read his post on the trial yesterday. He will also post one tonight. There is a graphic description of the abuse suffered by the victims of Tom Chantry. I believe the victims.
The defense appears to be claiming false memories on the part of the victims. That is hard for me to believe since they all have similar, yet different, memories of their abuse. I hear he is also claiming that they cannot remember the dates of these assaults. ROFL. This happened 20 years ago. Yesterday, I was asked to remember the exact date in which I took my last arthritis med injection. I couldn’t remember and had to consult calendars on which I had not written the date of the injection. I finally figured it out and this was less than two weeks ago.
Here is an excerpt from Todd’s post. Warning, there are some graphic details.
Chantry administered the spankings with Matthew either lying across his lap, bending over a table or bent over holding his ankles. When Matthew rubbed his bottom after one of the spankings Chantry stopped him from doing so stating that Matthew could not comfort himself, only Chantry could do that. Chantry would rub Matthew’s bottom then he would have Matthew sit on his lap and he would rub his genitals, initially through his clothing.
Catechism lessons were conducted with Matthew over Chantry’s knee. Every wrong answer, or answer not given quickly enough resulted in a spanking to Matthew’s bottom. On one occasion Chantry volunteered to keep Matthew at his house overnight. Larry and Linda were traveling to Phoenix and Chantry suggested he babysit so they didn’t have to rush home late that night. Additionally, Matthew had a catechism class the next morning, so it would be easier for all to have Chantry babysit. During this time Chantry told Matthew “he was being punished for sins not yet committed” and told him to drop his pants and underpants. What then occurred was the worst beating and worst fondling Matthew ever received.
At times Matthew’s brother, Michael was at the church when Matthew was being “tutored.” He sometimes heard the spankings and cries of Matthew emitting from Chantry’s office. Matthew talked about the beatings, but never about being fondled. When Matthew’s parents learned of the bare bottom spankings Larry and fellow elder Rich Howell confronted Chantry. Chantry said he spanked Matthew, but never bare-bottomed. He said Michael is making that up or dreamt it happened or if it did occur Chantry did it in his sleep.
In January of 1998, Chantry asked Carolyn Ladner if he could tutor her son, David. Carolyn will testify to seeing deep purple bruises on David’s buttocks and upper thighs. The bruises looked like he had been struck with a 2 X 4. She said David had trouble walking.
Continue reading at Thou Art The Man if you can stomach it. Todd is doing a great job.
Brad McDaniel: the non-member leader of the Highpoint opposition may not really be a counselor.
Today I received a message from a person who shall remain unidentified for good reason. Here is what the email alleged. Can anyone confirm this? Brad strikes me as a sales type in his demeanor. He sure is selling something to the Highpoint people! Maybe he is one of those *biblical™ counselors. The goings on at Highpoint should continue to be of interest.
Here are some things that we conveyed/claimed. (ed. update)
Brad McDaniel isn’t a counselor and is involved in the sales industry. He hasn’t worked as a “counselor” in any official setting where he got paid nor received official higher degrees to allow him to be a certified counselor. This person claims that he may have volunteered, and may have had some Bible training. This person claims that he may be misleading people by calling himself a counselor.