"I did almost a year in prison, a year in prison, just because my name is Foxy Brown." Foxy Brown link
While awaiting publication of our new Friday (even thought it is Saturday) post, here is something to keep you occupied. My understanding is this and I am willing to be corrected on my understandin.I need all the help all can get!
The Arizona Court of Appeals found unconstitutional the heightened standard for denial of bail for child molestation under which Chantry's December hearing was decided.
Here is a link to the old statute. It lists offenses not bailable. Standard A-4 was struck down.
4. Molestation of a child who is under fifteen years of age.
Tom Chantry challenged his bail denial and prevailed.
For those of you who like reading this stuff, here is a link to the court summary. (I do not know the legal term.)
Here is the final two points.
Here is what I think is happening.
- Due to a court challenge, Arizona is now obligated to offer bail to sex offender/abusers awaiting trial.
- Tom Chantry's lawyers successfully asked that he be allowed to leave jail while awaiting trial.
- This request has been granted.
- It appears that he will have a bail hearing on May 1. (Info from another reader)
- He may also receive a new trial date at that time.
- One of our TWW friends is going to try to have an observer present at the trial and we will hopefully get a bird's eye view of the proceedings.
- Special thanks goes out to a reader who is keeping us abreast of all developments in the court system.
ARBCA 2017 meeting.
The readers who sent us this information made a quip about this year's meeting. Chantry is a pastor within this denomination.
Meanwhile, the ARBCA had its yearly General Assembly this week at a United Methodist [!] retreat center. The Reformed Baptist ladies there were dismissed for tea party while the menfolk discussed association business Tuesday!