Folks, please read the following comment made by Justin Taylor when he shut down comments on this blog post after receiving pushback on his Mefferd tweet. It appears that he might be calling Boz Tchvidjian a known slanderer. Others think it might be either Wade Burleson or Peter Lumpkins.
(1) I thought that Ms. Mefferd acted unprofessionally and that authors should know something about her modus operandi here. First, she has every right to raise the issue, but it should have been done first to Mark or his publisher offline. It’s a violation of the Golden Rule. Second, I don’t know what more Mark could have said. He said that he may have made a mistake and that he would consult with Dr. Jones and fix it if he was wrong. But Ms. Mefferd kept badgering him on the point. Third, she told an untruth (conspiracy theorists notwithstanding) that he hung up on her. Her producer even emailed a breathless report to bloggers trying to make a story out of this. Maybe she has apologized for this but I haven’t seen it.
(2) This is not the first time I’ve observed this behavior from her. I think it is very problematic that she has given a platform to a known slanderer regarding the SGM situation. She also tried to try the case in the court of public opinion and proceeded in an unbiblical way. In other words, this didn’t seem like a one-off situation.
(3) I probably should have kept this opinion to myself, but I still hold it.
If this is the case, things could get very ugly, indeed. And yes, Taylor should have heeded his own advice in #3. Here is a link to a post that I wrote called Slander or an Inconvenient Truth.
If you think that I am wrong, please tell me to whom you think he is referring?
Update: A reader said that only Boz T., Wade Burleson, and Peter Lumpkins were on Mefferd's show to address the SGM debacle. So, which one is the slanderer? And will Taylor prove it or hide behind closed comments again?
Update 11:14 PM One new commenter suggested Brent Detweiler. Dee is still leaning towards Boz T. Folks, this deals with child sex abuse and this sort of gamesmanship is despicable.
Update Wednesday 8:30 AM Thank you for Bene D who provided us with the following documentation. Remember, Taylor specifically mentions SGM.
1. Brent Detwiller was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show February 28,2013
2. Boz T was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show June 6,2013 re: the SGM lawsuit
3. Boz T was also interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show October 7,2013 re: sexual abuse in the church
4. Peter Lumpkins was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show June 17,2014 re: his SBC resolution
4. Wade Burleson was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show Februrary 14, 2013.
5. Susan Burke (lawyer bringing the SGM lawsuit)was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show October 18,2012.
6. Bill O’Neil (lawyer) was interviewed on The Janet Mefferd Show May 16, 2013 re: appeal