(Women) can’t handle stress, they can’t handle anything. You walk up to them with an issue. They freak out right away… I’ve seen it happen at airports, at banks, the post office… Because it’s not in their nature. -Jesse Peterson.
Sean Hannity-public domain
This post is in the form of a letter which is being sent to Sean Hannity at Fox News. The intent of this post is not to debate political positions. It is to expose the thinking of some pastors in the conservative church in America.
Dear Mr. Hannity
Recently, some readers who comment on our blog, The Wartburg Watch, a Christian issues site, alerted us to a segment on your television show that involved what appears to be an unscripted encounter between Kirsten Powers, a Democrat strategist, and Jesse Peterson, a pastor.
Most people would call me conservative in both my faith, an evangelical Christian, and my politics. Throughout the years, I have watched your show and am gratified that you support people of faith. From my understanding, you are a devout Roman Catholic.
Although I generally trend right in my politics, I have always admired and followed Kirsten Powers who I believe is a leading voice of reason in the political opinion arena. I was also interested to learn that, after years of being an avowed atheist, Ms. Powers has embraced the Christian faith link.
I’m an Orthodox Christian. I’d say evangelical but that word is too loaded with cultural baggage, so I say Orthodox instead. I came to this faith later in life so for people who have known me for a long time this fact is still a bit of a mind bender. Honestly, it’s still kind of a mind bender for me too considering the atheistic world in which I happily resided for so long.
Therefore, I was startled when the usually well-spoken, polite Powers was seemingly incensed by the presence of Reverend Peterson. I want to commend you for allowing her to address Rev. Peterson directly. Unless one is aware of some comments by Peterson, the confrontation initiated by Powers might have seemed out of line. However, in my opinion, Powers was right to address this issue in a public forum.
Once again, it was my readers who informed me of the following video by Peterson that might throw some light on the reason for Powers' rebuke of the Reverend.
According to several websites, this video has been taken down and then put back up, scrubbed of some of the offensive statements. Thankfully, there are bloggers out here who are willing to make sure the truth is known. From NewsHounds link, we can find a transcript of some of these statements.
- My America is gone… and short of God intervening, I don’t see any turnaround… I realize that one of the primary reasons… that it is over for America is because women are taking over… Most cannot (make sound decisions).
- One thing I know for sure, without a doubt, women cannot handle power. It’s not in them to handle power in the right way. They don’t know what to do with it.
- When men were in charge, they were tougher, you know, and more solid.
- Not all, not all, not all, but most (women) turned into little whores. (He cited Sandra Fluke as an example).
- We leave a woman to herself in the home, she destroys the family.
- Just as men need to be guided by Christ, women need to be guided by men.
- Women’s rights are “a trick from Satan.”
- The fact that women are now doing oral sex, this (is) evil, nothing but evil. (Editors note: he apparently has not heard of Mark Driscoll)
- (Women) can’t handle stress, they can’t handle anything. You walk up to them with an issue. They freak out right away… I’ve seen it happen at airports, at banks, the post office… Because it’s not in their nature.
- One of the greatest mistakes that America made was to allow women the opportunity to vote. We should never have turned it over to women… It was a big mistake… These women are voting in the wrong people.
- Men in the good old days understood the nature of the woman… They understood if you let them take over, this is what would happen.
- This is how evil is coming in… It’s coming through the woman.
- Look at every place where a woman is in control. Maybe not all, not all, but most. You see nothing but confusion.
- You need to only have sex to make a baby. There’s no other need for sex.
- The man is the head of the wife.
- We have to come back to words like whore, slut and evil.
Mr. Hannity, I know that people of faith can debate the role of women in the church, especially serving in the capacity of priests and pastors. However, that disputation does not appear to be the subject of Rev. Peterson's words. I find it difficult to believe that any man of good will could hold to such views on women.
I did some investigating and found that the Reverend Peterson is, according to Wikipedia and BOND link
…president and founder of The Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny (BOND), an American group dedicated to a conservative agenda among African Americans. Peterson is also the Founder and President of BOND Action, Inc., a nonprofit, 501 (c) (4) organization.
The BOND website here lists you, along with Dr Walter Williams, a man that I also follow, as members of the advisory board for BOND. In light of these comments, I would ask that you consider severing your ties with this organization. Apparently, I am not the only one who has requested this of you. There is now a Facebook page "Sean Hannity-Resign from BOND Board" here.
Once again, I want to commend you for allowing Kirsten Powers to confront Reverend Peterson. She now has me as a loyal fan. I leave the ball in your court.
Co-editor of The Wartburg Watch
Lydia's Corner: Numbers 26:52-28:15 Luke 3:1-22 Psalm 61:1-8 Proverbs 11:16-17