"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satisfied; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
C.S. Lewis, author/theologian
Today we remember those brave men and women who have sacrificed their very lives in the defense of liberty. In my own family, we have a father who lost his eye on the Battle of the Bulge, another who served during the Korean conflict and a stepfather who, after hiding from the Nazis in the woods of France, immigrated to the United States and served in the Air Force for 22 years. The leader of our Bible study has two sons currently serving in the military. One is in Afghanistan as I write this.They all have fought for our right to be free.
Blogs are an expression of the First Amendment which allows us freedom of expression without fear that a coercive government will use its power to deny this right to ordinary citizens. How strange it is that certain groups, such as the Georgia Baptist Convention and First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, have sought to abrogate this freedom within their ranks. Both Doug Pittman and Tom Rich have stood up to this nonsense.You can read their stories on this blog by clicking on their names under categories.
Doug Pittman is the first person that I know who coined the term, "Baptist Mafia." Please note the quote from Lewis at the start of this post. I wonder…..
Doug wrote in to clarify his concept. he made a point thta one could substitute any denomination or "family of churches" for the word, "Baptist." Please feel free to comment and add to this list. I think quite a few of us have encountered the entrenched religious Mafia. We may make this a permanent feature of our site.
I have only one thing to say to the Georgia Baptist Convention and the former pastors at Pray's Mills Baptist Church, you sure ticked off the wrong guy. Dumb, dumb, dumb… So, without further ado, Doug's list of "qualities" to be declared a part of the Baptist Mafia.
1. Any minister who has used the Bible passages to further personal wealth and personal agendas;
2. Personal vendettas against anyone who is opposition or anyone who opposes an issue presented or disagrees with messages from the pulpit ;
3. Any minister who has thrown out members of a church because they oppose his agenda, are a threat to his deception, have credible evidence of SIN within a member of his staff, or who has thrown anyone out period without reason ;
4. Any Minister who has willfully lied to a church or denied the church access to that person so that he/she can have a voice on issues unknown to that church ;
5. Any Pastor who tells his Deacons to lie to a church or covers up a matter that should be exposed to the church ;
6. Any Pastor / Minister who violates Matthew 18;
7.Any minister who has done away with all committees and trustees within the church so they can either forcibly or deceitfully have total control of that church is definitely a part of those within “the Baptist Mafia”. They will then also tell you they are “of authority” and it is Biblical and have the Deacons tell the church that they should be lead 100% totally submissive to the Pastor or as they say….Pastor Lead – and the Deacons then accept this Bullying tactic from this Pastor / Minister……
8. Any Pastor or Minister who knowingly lies and covers up SIN within the church staff and then goes after the person who has exposed this SIN to the church;
9. Any Pastor/ Minister who uses the LAW and Police to squelch opposition with intimidation and harassing tactics such as ” illegal subpoena’s and trespass warnings”;
10. Any Pastor / Minister who spiritually abuses;
11. Any Pastor who tells members of his church to avoid certain members of this church;
12. Any Pastor / Minister who lies about his Education or FAKE DR degree ;
13. Any Pastor who turn church members against others members based on false accusations;
14. Any Pastor / Minister who accepts financial reward based on fraudulent credentials and deception;
15. Any Pastor who threatens others after being exposed
16. If your Pastor / Minister replace older experienced Deacons and Trustees with fresh, Young, and overall inexperienced men say in their 20’s so he can manipulate decisions more easily ;
17. If your Pastor / Minister views tithing records or ask for them in an underhanded way;
18. If your Pastor / Minister preaches or blast negative comments against other ministers from the pulpit;
19. If your Pastor / Minister blast bloggers for exposing issues against ministers and others within the Convention on the Internet;
20. If your Pastor / Minister will not answer basic questions and /or ignores legitimate issues ;
21/ If your Pastor / Minister makes excuses for those that are known to be guilty of certain matters;
Doug adds that this is just a start of the reasoning why he came up with this very fitting term in today’s environment.
He says to all those within “the Baptist Mafia” who think just like the terms above……
“The Internet,The Great Equalizer!”